CRASH TEST EVALUATION OF AN IMPROVED PRECAST INTERLOCKED MEDIAN BARRIER
The evaluation is reported of the improved joint design of the Welsbach precast prestressed concrete barrier system. Details of the test procedures outlined and photographs are used for illustration. The Welsbach precast prestressed concrete barrier system restrained and redirected a 4500-lb test vehicle under severe impact conditions. The vehicle damage, although extensive (the major portion was sustained at the left front quadrant), is typical of other non-yielding barrier tests performed on cost-in-place systems.
- Prepared for Welsbach Concrete Systems Corporation.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX USA 78228-0510
- Bronstad, M E
- Wiles, E O
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Impact tests; Loss and damage; Median barriers; Performance; Precast concrete; Prestressed concrete; Testing; Vehicles
- Old TRIS Terms: Barrier design; Interlocking
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00152984
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Project 03-4088-006
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM