THE IMPACT OF SOPHISTICATED ELECTRONICS ON SYSTEM MAINTAINABILITY
The impact of electronic versus relay circuitry on railroad control systems is discussed. Electronic devices are used in track circuits, classification-yard controls, traffic control systems, hot box detectors, computer interfaces and many other applications. The reliability and maintainability of electronic control systems are analyzed. Sophisticated electronic systems are more costly to acquire and more costly to maintain than the simpler system formerly used. To compete in today's transportation marketplace, they are necessary because their capabilities are so great.
- Presented at the AAR Communication and Signal Section's Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, 16 September 1975.
General Railway Signal Co,
- Schwartz, H C
- Rutkowski, R J
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Electronic control; Maintainability; Maintenance management; Maintenance practices; Planning; Reliability; Signal devices; Signaling
- Old TRIS Terms: Electronic control systems
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00152676
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM