ROLL DYNAMICS UNIT AND VIBRATION TEST UNIT
The Rail Dynamics Laboratory (RDL) permits evaluation of various car and locomotive designs in a safe, controlled and reproducible laboratory environment with minimal risk to equipment and personnel. RDL houses two test machines, the Vibration Test Unit (VTU) and the Roll Dynamics Unit (RDU), along with necessary data collection, analysis and service facilities. RDU will be capable, through a system of drive motors, fly-wheels and rollers, of simulating relative rail motion under rail vehicles and absorbing power produced by self-propelled units. VTU will subject a stationary rail vehicle to controlled vertical and lateral vibration inputs at the wheel/rail interfaces through servo-controlled actuators. Physical capabilities of the subsystems of the laboratory are given. Facilities are available for government- and industry-sponsored research programs.
- Direct requests to Mr. Arnold Gross, RDL Program Manager (RRD-11), FRA.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Development; Dynamics; Research; Test facilities; Train track dynamics; Vehicle dynamics; Vibration tests
- Identifier Terms: Transportation Technology Center; Wheel Rail Dynamics Research Facility
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Research and development; Vertical dynamics
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00152660
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Brochure
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1977 12:00AM