FREEZING OF A FINE-TEXTURED POROUS SATURATED MEDIUM, CONSIDERED AS A COMBINATION OF SEVERAL ELEMENTARY PHENOMENA
CONGELATION D'UN MILIEU POREUX DE TEXTURE FINE SATURE D'EAU, CONSIDERE COMME UN COUPLAGE DE PLUSIEURS PHENOMENES ELEMENTAIRES
During the freezing of a fine porous saturated medium and the evolution in the condition of the water/ice interface, water/substratum and ice/substratum interfaces, secondary effects occur as the frost front moves forward. The nature and importance of these effects depend on the interaction of several phenomena: heat transfer, mass transfer, and interface phenomena. Mathematical models were derived for explaining these phenomena, and the theoretical results obtained were compared with experimental measurements. The results show that the models and computer program used can be applied to road construction problems; indeed they are already used in France. The method can be extended to solve two- and three-dimensional systems. /TRRL/
- This paper was published as part of the proceedings of the 14eme Congres International du Froid held in Moscow, September 20, 1975.
International Institute of Refrigeration177 boulevard Malesherbes
75017 Paris, France
- Aguirree, JCP
- FREMOND, M
- Publication Date: 1975-9-20
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Chemical composition; Computer programs; Couplers; Digital computers; Digital simulation; Fines (Materials); Freezing; Frost; Heat; Heat transfer; Mathematical models; Pavement layers; Pavements; Percent saturation; Porosity; Sensitivity; Soils; Swelling; Tests; Water
- Old TRIS Terms: Freezing (Process); Substratum; Transfer (Mech)
- ITRD Terms: 3876: Coupling; 5907: Degree of saturation (mater); 6483: Digital model; 9023: Fine (mater); 3601: Freezing (method); 2585: Frost; 6743: Heat; 6473: Mathematical model; 2931: Multicourse; 2955: Pavement; 5938: Porosity; 5928: Sensitivity; 8645: Software; 4156: Soil; 5937: Structure (physicochem); 5203: Swelling (soil); 6255: Test; 6731: Transfer (phys); 4355: Water
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I26: Water Run-off - Freeze-thaw;
- Accession Number: 00152550
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monog Ser.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 1977 12:00AM