AN INTEGRATED MANOEUVRING CONTROL SYSTEM
Offshore supply services today are mostly provided by small (500-1,000-dwt) specially designed vessels with high power and good manoeuvrability characteristics. These vessels are equipped with twin screws twin rudders and lateral thrusters. With conventional control systems it may be necessary for the skipper to operate a number of individual levers over a long period of time to maintain his position relative to a fixed structure. POSCON is a manoeuvring system which integrates the different levers into a single joystick by which the manoeuvring force commands are requested. The paper describes the functional aspects of the system, and simulation studies carried out in its development and evaluation.
- Proceedings of Symposium on "Automation in Offshore Oil Field Operation," Bergen, June 14-17, 1976.
INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF AUTOMATIC COMTROLOXFORD OXFORDSHIRE, England
International Federation of Automatic Control, Laxenburg (Austria); International Federation for Information Processing, Geneva (Switzerland),
- Huse, M
- Sorheim, H R
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Offshore supply boats; Ship pilotage; Ship simulators
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00152519
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1977 12:00AM