GRAPHICAL OUTPUT-ORIENTED COMPUTER MODEL OF A RAILROAD FREIGHT CAR WITH CONVENTIONAL TRUCKS
The paper describes a 13-degree-of-freedom, frequency domain, computer model of a railroad freight car riding on conventional North American three-piece trucks. These 13 degrees of freedom incorporate roll, pitch, bounce, bending, and twisting of the body, as well as lateral, swivel, and parallelogramming of each truck. This idealized freight car is driven at 200 discrete frequencies from 0.1 to 20.0 cycles per second. The driving functions are derived from the Fourier components of track geometry measurements taken from actual test tracks. Although the model is linear, coulomb damping is approximated by equivalent viscous coefficients at each frequency. Printed output is provided; however, the basic product of the program is a series of two-color graphs produced on a mechanical plotter. These include a Nyquist diagram, giving indications of the freight car's lateral stability on tangent track, and PSD plots illustrating the frequency breakdown of the various vehicle responses. Comparisons are made between the computed PSD plots and actual test data for specific conditions.
- Contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of the ASME for presentation at the Joint ASME-IEEE Railroad Conference held in Washington, D.C., March 30-April 1, 1977.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Luttrell, N W
- Publication Date: 1977-3-30
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer graphics; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Freight cars; Mathematical models; Motor vehicle bodies; Power spectra; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle dynamics
- Non-Preferred Terms: Power spectral density; Spectral density; Spectral energy distribution
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Interactive graphics; Lateral dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Car body; Freight car dynamics; Truck dynamics
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00152432
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 77-RT-11 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1977 12:00AM