DEVELOPMENT OF A SYSTEM OF COMPARABLE CAR CLASSES FOR FUEL ECONOMY LABELING
Weight, wheelbase, price, fuel economy, performance, exterior size, interior passenger space, and cargo (trunk) volume were examined as possible parameters for establishing car classes. To facilitate data handling, computer programs were developed to rank the representative sample. A system with five classes for cars and three classes for station wagons based on the interior volume index relates well to vehicle utility and will be applicable to future vehicles. The use of the volume measurements as a tool for anlayzing vehicle design is briefly discussed.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- McNutt, B D
- Pirkey, D
- Dulia, R
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Fuel consumption; Gross vehicle weight; Prices; Vehicle classification; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance; Volume; Wheel base
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00152298
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 760794
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 17 1977 12:00AM