URBAN STORM RUNOFF INLET HYDROGRAPH STUDY. VOLUME 5. SOIL-COVER-MOISTURE COMPLEX: ANALYSIS OF PARAMETRIC INFILTRATION MODELS FOR HIGHWAY SIDESLOPES
The main objective of this study is to develop an accurate design method for computing inlet hydrographs of surface runoff, with average recurrence intervals of 10, 25, and 50 years, from typical urban highway by flood routing technique. The boundary-value problem of one-dimensional infiltration resulting from rainfall is formulated and solved numerically on a digital computer. The numerical solutions of this idealized mathematical model is used as a basic testing tool in the subsequent analysis of various parametric infiltration models including the Green-Ampt, Kostiakov, Philip, Horton, and Holtan equations. The time of ponding is shown to be the most important parameter in a parametric infiltration model and can be expressed in terms of other parameters in the model as well as the rainfall intensity. Validity of typical standard curves so developed were experimentally examined in the Utah Water Research Laboratory stormflow experiment facility.
- See also Volume 4, PB-263 988. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E13, PB-263 984-SET.
Utah State University, LoganUtah Water Research Laboratory
Logan, UT USA 84321
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Chen, C L
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 185 p.
- TRT Terms: Culvert inlets; Design; Digital computers; Flood routing; Grasses; Highways; Hydrographs; Hydrology; Infiltration; Mathematical models; Ponding; Rainfall; Runoff; Simulation; Slopes; Soil types; Soil water; Soils; Storm sewers; Turf; Urban areas; Vegetation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Inlets; Rainfall intensity; Soil classification
- Geographic Terms: Utah
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology;
- Accession Number: 00151817
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76-120 Final Rpt., PRWG-106-5
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7806
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1978 12:00AM