URBAN STORM RUNOFF INLET HYDROGRAPH STUDY. VOLUME 4. SYNTHETIC STORMS FOR DESIGN OF URBAN HIGHWAY DRAINAGE FACILITIES
The main objective of this study is to develop an accurate design method for computing inlet hydrographs of surface runoff, with average recurrence intervals of 10, 25, and 50 years, from typical urban highway by flood routing technique. Knowledge of the time distribution of rainfall in heavy storms constitutes a basis for the design of an urban storm sewer system. A unified time-coordinate system and the rainfall intensity-duration-frequency relationships are used to develop the generalized synthetic (design) hyetograph equations for all types of storms. The hyetograph equations are further normalized for identifying the dimensionless parameters that play predominant roles in the formulation of a design storm pattern. The method of least squares and an optimization technique are applied to the evaluation of the storm parameters through the use of the rainfall intensity-duration-frequency maps in the U.S. Weather Bureau Technical Paper No. 40.
- See also Volume 3, PB-263 987. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E13, PB-263 984-SET.
Utah State University, LoganUtah Water Research Laboratory
Logan, UT United States 84321
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Chen, C L
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 173 p.
- TRT Terms: Culvert inlets; Design; Drainage; Flood routing; Highways; Hydrographs; Hydrology; Least squares method; Maps; Mathematical models; Optimization; Physical distribution; Rainfall; Runoff; Simulation; Skewed structures; Storm sewers; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Inlets; Rainfall intensity; Skewness
- Geographic Terms: Utah
- Old TRIS Terms: Distribution property
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology;
- Accession Number: 00151816
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76-119 Final Rpt., PRWG-106-4
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7806
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1978 12:00AM