LEAST-COST PLANNING: PRINCIPLES, APPLICATIONS AND ISSUES
This report summarizes existing research that relates to how public entities making transportation investment decisions can attempt to identify, quantify, value, and sum the benefits and costs of alternative transportation programs and projects. The report looks at an emerging transportation planning concept called "least-cost planning". Least-cost planning embodies both a planning process and specific analytical techniques. It attempts to meet a given set of transportation objectives with a combination of improvements, policies, and programs that is less expensive than any other combination. For planners at state departments of transportation or Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs), this report provides a general framework (both planning concepts and analytical techniques) for evaluating transportation projects, and ideas on how to shift from current practices toward the type of analysis recommended.
- Record URL:
- This report is one of a series of reports issued periodically by the FHWA's Office of Environment and Planning, Metropolitan Planning Division. It was prepared under contract to COMSIS Corporation.
ECONorthwest22 W Tenth, Suite 400
Eugene, OR United States 97401
Parsons, Brinckerhoff, Quade and Douglas, Incorporated400 SW Sixth Avenue, Suite 802
Portland, OR United States 97204-1628
Federal Highway AdministrationOffice of Environment and Planning, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1995-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 132 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Least overall cost; Metropolitan planning organizations; Programming (Planning); State departments of transportation; Transportation planning
- Old TRIS Terms: Least-cost planning
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00735976
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Technical Report No. 6
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1997 12:00AM