RAILROAD CLASSIFICATION YARD TECHNOLOGY. A SURVEY AND ASSESSMENT
This report documents a survey and assessment of the current state of the art in rail freight-car classification yard technology. The major objective was the identification of research and development necessary for technological improvements in railroad classification yards. This involved a projection of future classification yard needs and a comparison of these requirements of existing technology. Separate tasks included a description of the hardware, costs, performance characteristics, and operational practices of existing yards; formulation of general yard-network interaction concepts; collection of in-depth background information concerning the yard population in the United States (categorized by type, technology, and function); estimation of the demands likely to be placed on the nation's network of freight-car terminals during the foreseeable future; and an assessment and prioritization of those areas of terminal operations that warrant further research or development.
- Record URL:
- See also RRIS 21 127705 7601.
Stanford Research Institute333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Petracek, S J
- Moon, A E
- Kiang, R L
- Siddigee, M W
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Pagination: 343 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification; Classification yards; Demand; Development; Evaluation; Forecasting; Freight cars; Freight terminals; Handbooks; Hump yards; Layout; Management; Networks; Planning; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Recommendations; Research; Statistics; Surveys; Technological forecasting; Technology assessment; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Operating strategies; Yard capacity; Yard layout planning; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Research; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00151748
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-FRA-76-35 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-968
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 27 1977 12:00AM