DATA TELEMETRY AND RADIO CONTROL ON TUGS
Rapid development of large barges has led to an increasing use of radio for remote control of such functions as emergency anchor release, navigation light switching, load tipping, and rudder control. There is now a growing need for telemetered supervisory information from the barge to the tug. Frequencies are used for this on a regional assignment basis, and this leads to difficulties for tows destined for or passing through the coastal waters of other countries. In this paper the advantages and disadvantages of various frequency bands are outlined, and a plea is made for the international allocation of frequencies in the 400 to 500 MHz region for data, telemetry and radio control in the shipping industry. The author also seeks information on any experience with the use of uhf radio between tugs and barges in heavy seas, a subject on which he has not been able so far to obtain any definitive information. The subject is of particular importance at the moment because discussions are now under way in various countries in preparation for the 1974 Maritime WARC.
- Presented at the April 24-26th 1972 New Orleans RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1-Papers AA and A thru F-Marine Traffic Systems, Volume 2-Papers G thru L-Safe Ship Operations, Volume 3-Papers M thru Q-Maritime Satellite Systems, Volume 4-Papers R thru Z-Trends in Maritime Communications. SOLD ONLY AS A COMPLETE FOUR VOLUME SET $10.00 PER SET.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine ServicesP.O. Box 19087
Washington, DC USA 20036
- Eldridge, R C
- Publication Date: 1972-4-24
- TRT Terms: Barges; Communication systems; Data communications; Radio; Remote control; Ship pilotage; Telemetry; Tug ship interaction; Very high frequency
- Old TRIS Terms: Barge handling; Remote control systems; Tug barge operations; Vhf communications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033717
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1972 12:00AM