ANALYSIS OF DEMANDS ON THE LONG BEACH NAVAL SHIPYARD
In developing a system for allocating manpower resources in the Navy, major emphasis has been placed on the design of an input-output model to forecast the workload of shore activities, based upon the size and distribution of the fleet. To determine the feasibility of input-output analysis for operational use, a full-scale model of the 11th Naval District is being developed. The structure of input-output analysis requires data on the work output of each shore activity and its destination in the fleet and other shore activities. In addition, the demands by the fleet must be disaggregated by ship type, movement, and status. This report is concerned with analysis of workload demand on one of the District's 12 major shore activities--the Long Beach Naval Shipyard (LBSY). The structure of demands on LBSY was analyzed by using Naval Shipyard workload data that provided a monthly status report (in terms of man-days expended) on all work being performed on each ship. The data base was used to determine the configuration of total workload and the differences in demand among repair categories and among ship types, as well as changes in demand over time.
Navy Personnel Research and Development CenterSan Diego, CA United States
- Rowe, M W
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Conservation; Cost allocation; Databases; Forecasting; Input output devices; Labor market; Logistics; Mathematical models; Mathematical prediction; Merchant marine; Military organizations; Military vessels; Naval shore facilities; Organization; Planning; Production; Production control; Repairing; Ship operations; Shipyard personnel; Shipyards
- Uncontrolled Terms: Naval operations; Resource management
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Allocations; Fleets ships; Input output processing; Military requirements; Naval planning; Shipyard organization
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Environment; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00151680
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NPRDC-TR-77-77 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM