OPTICAL METHOD FOR SURFACE TEXTURE MEASUREMENT
This invention relates generally to the measurement of surface texture (roughness) and more particularly for the measurement of highway pavement surface textural characteristics. The surface qualities of a highway pavement determines to a large degree the conditions under which safe driving can be maintained. The ultimate objective is to employ pavement material which will reduce the frequency and severity of highway accidents due to skidding and loss of control of the vehicle under various driving conditions. The invention provides a system to measure the polarization characteristics of light reflected from the pavement surface. By illuminating the road surface with linearly polarized light such as from a laser source mounted on a moving vehicle, the reflected light will become depolarized as a result of diffuse scattering from the textured road surface. The reflected light will generally be elliptically polarized, the degree of ellipticity being dependent on the pavement textural characteristics.
- This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, D.C. 20231 $0.50.
Department of the NavyConstitution Avenue and 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States
- Gee, S
- Publication Date: 1973-12-6
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Equipment tests; Highways; Instrumentation; Laser beams; Lasers; Light; Measurement; Measuring instruments; Optical instruments; Optical measurement; Patents; Pavements; Polarization; Prevention; Reflectivity; Roughness; Safety; Skid resistance; Surface course (Pavements); Texture
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reflectance
- Old TRIS Terms: Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00151636
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-4222244 Patent
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM