A COMPUTER SIMULATION MODEL--FOR ANALYZING MOBILE SOURCE AIR POLLUTION CONTROL STRATEGIES
This report describes MATHAIR, a computer model that simulates the impacts of strategies for controlling mobile source air pollutants. Vehicle miles traveled (VMT) for different modes of ground transportation are predicted by a transportation module. Given VMT predictions, an inventory of stationary sources of mobile source pollutants and certain other inputs for the urban area, pollutant emissions are calculated using EPA-developed relations. A linear rollback air quality module then predicts ambient pollutant concentrations. Finally strategy costs and benefits due to damage reduction are calculated. A set of experiments were performed for four selected urban regions using MATHAIR. MATHAIR casts all strategy costs (including the imputed social cost of trips foregone or induced by a strategy) and all benefits in dollar terms so that strategies can be compared in terms of their total impact. A baseline, zero control strategy and four strategies of increasing stringency are defined and simulated over a ten-year horizon. One general conclusion suggested by the results of the test is that it is economically inefficient to impose the same program of controls in different urban regions. Another conclusion is that the control strategies are very sensitive to certain input data.
Mathtech, Incorporated14 Washington Road
Princeton, NJ USA 08540
Environmental Research Laboratory200 Southwest 35th Street
Corvallis, OR USA 97330
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 189 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Air quality management; Automobiles; Benefit cost analysis; City planning; Forecasting; Mathematical models; Simulation; Transportation planning; Travel; Urban areas; Vehicle miles of travel
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Air pollution abatement; Strategy
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00151622
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/600/5-76/010 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-2952
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM