WIND MEASUREMENT SYSTEM
A system for remotely measuring vertical and horizontal winds present in discrete volumes of air at selected locations above the ground is described. A laser beam is optically focused in range by a telescope, and the output beam is conically scanned at an angle about a vertical axis. The backscatter, or reflected light, from the ambient particulates in a volume of air, the focal volume, is detected for shifts in wavelength, and from these, horizontal and vertical wind components are computed.
- Misc-Filed 3 Dec. 1975 Supersedes N76-13701 (14 - 04, p 0484). This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of Patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, D.C.
Marshall Space Flight CenterNational Aeronautics and Space Administration
Huntsville, AL United States 35812
- Cliff, W C
- Huffaker, R M
- Dahm, W K
- Thomson, JAL
- Lawrence, T R
- Publication Date: 1976-10-5
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Air currents; Airports; Anemometers; Lasers; Light scattering; Meteorological instruments; Optical radar; Patents; Remote sensing; Velocity; Wind; Wind shear
- Old TRIS Terms: Laser applications; Vertical air currents; Wind measurement; Wind velocity
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00151550
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Patent-3 984-685, PAT-APPL-637 268
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM