LOW FROUDE NUMBER HYDRODYNAMIC PERFORMANCE OF A FLAT PLATE HYDROFOIL
Results of towing tank experiments are presented for lift, drag, moment, and center of pressure of an aspect ratio 4, rectangular planform, 5.21% thick, flat plate hydrofoil attached to a large strut and pod and operated beneath the free surface of water. The nominal range of the chord Froude number was 0.5 to 3.5 with corresponding chord Reynolds numbers of 740,000-5,200,000. Tests included foil submergence depths ranging from 0.25 to 3.5 chord lengths, and foil angles of attack varying from 0 -8 deg. These data fill an important gap in our experimental knowledge of near-surface, low speed hydrofoil performance. Experiments indicate that there are significant changes in lift and drag for operation at shallow and moderate submergences in the low chord Froude number range, especially around 0.75 to 1.5. Prediction of residual drag coefficients for an 18-foot-chord hydrofoil operating at constant lift shows that the wavemaking drag is significant and that the trend of increase in residual drag at froude numbers ranging from 3.5 down to 1.75 appears to be roughly parallel to the trend of induced drag alone. However, the magnitudes of residual drag coefficients are rather large, and there are indications that interference wave drag, due to the presence of a strut and a pod, is an important feature of the low speed drag variation.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD United States 20084
- Wilson, M B
- Kelley, J R
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic lift; Drag; Drag forces; Froude number; Hydrodynamics; Hydrofoils; Interference; Length; Lift drag ratio; Moments (Mechanics); Performance; Plates (Engineering); Ratios; Rayleigh waves; Struts; Velocity measurement; Water waves; Wave drag
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aspect ratio; Low velocity; Model tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Effects; Flat plate models; Hydrofoil performance; Lift to drag ratio; Model testing; Moments; Shallow depth
- Subject Areas: Design; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00151521
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SPD-743-01 Dept. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM