AN ENGINEERING STUDY ON THE EMULSIFICATION OF IMMISCIBLE NOXIOUS LIQUIDS DISCHARGED INTO THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT BY CHEMICAL TANKERS
Annex II of the 1973 IMCO Marine Pollution Convention limits the wake concentration of certain noxious substances discharged by chemical tankers. Emulsification prior to discharge was considered as a means of assuring the proper dispersion of immiscible noxious substances. This study reviews the theory of emulsification and examines specific types of commercially available mechanical emulsifiers. The various mechanical emulsifiers are evaluated on the basis of: (1) applicability to IMCO Category B and C products, (2) Stability of the emulsions formed; (3) Chemical concentration limitations; (4) Capacity limitations; (5) Feasibility for use in explosive environments; (6) Reliability and maintainability; and (7) Operating and capital costs. This evaluation indicates that cavitating jet emulsification equipment is best suited for this application. Recommended locations on a typical chemical tanker for the emulsifier, discharge lines, and necessary piping are given. Finally, Recommendations concerning design data for implementation of the emulsification system are presented.
Daedalean Associates Incorporated15110 Federick Road
Woodbine, MD United States 21797
- TAYLOR, D A
- Thiruvengadam, A P
- Hochrein, AAJ
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Pagination: 65 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcohol use; Assessments; Chemical spills; Chemical tankers; Chemicals; Cleaning; Dispersers; Drug addiction; Drugs; Emulsions; Feasibility analysis; Hazardous chemicals; Hazards; Marine engineering; Poisons; Pollution control; Seawater; Tankers; Tanks (Containers); Waste disposal
- Uncontrolled Terms: Limitations; Water chemistry
- Old TRIS Terms: Detoxification; Emulsifying agents
- Subject Areas: Environment; Finance; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00151513
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: USCG-M-5-77 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-64919A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM