The patent application relates to a method whereby an acoustic navigation system for marking channels is used for providing safe entry and exit from harbors. The system has a plurality of pairs of acoustic projectors aligned on opposite sides of a channel. Each pair is spaced from corresponding pairs, a predetermined distance along the sides of the channel. A first projector in each pair provides an acoustic source for a period of time. The other projector in the pair provides acoustic sources spaced at predetermined intervals both before and after the signal from the first projector. A vessel equipped with receiving and display equipment determines its own location within the channel from the received acoustic signals.
- This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of application available NTIS.
Department of the NavyWashington, DC USA
- Cobb, A D
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Buoys; Channels (Waterways); Navigational aids; Patents; Position fixing
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic position finding; Channel markers; Patents (Navigational aids); Position finding
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00151498
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-719-493 Pat. Appl.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 18 1978 12:00AM