INTEGRATED SHIPBOARD COMMUNICATION SYSTEM
Some years ago the Ministry of Transport undertook to establish a new concept in wheelhouse design for its vessels. Special attention was paid to the grouping of components normally required for operation of the vessel including communications. As a result it was necessary to consolidate operation of all communications facilities on board ship. The Integrated Shipboard Communications System was developed to meet this need. Operation of the system is centered about the Control head units which can be located at strategic points on board ship. These units incorporate a telephone dial set and dedicated control features to provide access to any communication facility in addition to providing normal telephone capabilities where required. Operation of up to 6 radio telephones with up to 99 channels per set can be provided as well as operation of Public Address, Laudhail and Talkback systems on an all points basis or by selected stations along with entertainment programming to cabin and lounge areas. A second generation equipment now under development will provide a system designed on a "building block" concept. This will permit installations to be designed to meet specific requirements and allow for expansion to include additional facilities as required.
- Presented at the April 24-26th 1972 New Orleans RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1-Papers AA and A thru F-Marine Traffic Systems, Volume 2-Papers G thru L-Safe Ship Operations, Volume 3-Papers M thru Q-Maritime Satellite Systems, Volume 4-Papers R thru Z-Trends in Maritime Communications. SOLD ONLY AS A COMPLETE FOUR VOLUME SET $10.00 PER SET.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine ServicesP.O. Box 19087
Washington, DC USA 20036
- Douglas, NAR
- Reardon, R C
- Publication Date: 1972-4-24
- TRT Terms: Bridges (Ships); Communication systems; Consoles; Engine rooms; Integrated systems; Radio; Remote control
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge consoles; Engine room remote control
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00033710
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1972 12:00AM