ASPHALT CONCRETE OVERLAYS OF FLEXIBLE PAVEMENTS. VOLUME 2. DESIGN PROCEDURES
This report is a user's manual for thickness design of flexible overlays for flexible pavements. The design procedure is limited primarily to fatigue cracking and rutting criteria. Three cases of existing pavement condition are recognized by the procedure. These subsystems are: (1) existing pavement with remaining life, (2) existing pavement mildly cracked, and (3) existing pavement severely cracked. Each requires input from the following areas: (1) deflection testing, (2) condition surveys, (3) traffic data, and (4) materials characterization. The deflection testing serves as an aid in establishing 'design sections' and in characterizing the subgrade. The condition surveys are used to select the proper design subsystem. Traffic data must be in the form of 18-kip equivalent axle loads. The materials characterization consists of laboratory testing to determine modulus values for each material. The overlay thickness design involves the use of inputs from the above four areas along with an elastic layered theory computer program, a fatigue equation and a rutting equation to detemine a thickness that satisfies both the fatigue and rutting criteria. A complete example problem solution for the remaining life subsystem is presented. This volume is the second in a series. The first is: Vol. 1. FHWA-RD-75-75 Asphalt Concrete Overlays of Flexible Pavements - Development of New Design Criteria.
- See also PB-263 432.
Austin Research Engineers Incorporated3128 Manor Road
Austin, TX United States 78723
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt concrete; Axle loads; Computer programs; Condition surveys; Cracking; Deflection tests; Design; Dimensional analysis; Fatigue (Mechanics); Fatigue (Physiological condition); Flexible pavements; Fracture mechanics; Laboratory tests; Modulus; Needs assessment; Overlays (Pavements); Paving; Ruts (Pavements); Stresses; Thickness
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Rut; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Covering; Dimensional measurement
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00151228
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 76 Final Rpt., FCP 35O2-202
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8544
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM