ASPHALT CONCRETE OVERLAYS OF FLEXIBLE PAVEMENTS. VOLUME 1. DEVELOPMENT OF NEW DESIGN CRITERIA
Fatigue and rutting criteria were developed and incorporated into a design procedure for flexible overlays of flexible pavements. The AASHO Road Test flexible pavement sections were used as a data base. Field studies were conducted to obtain data and materials were sampled and tested to determine modulus of elasticity values. The fatigue criteria developed in this report is based on observations of distress on in-service pavements along with mechanistic analyses using elastic layered theory to predict strains in the asphalt concrete. The traffic prior to the beginning of Class 2 cracking was combined with the strains to develop a regression model for fatigue. Rut depths, traffic, stresses, and strains were combined to develop a regression model for rutting. Consideration was given to the relation of rutting to temperature. The stresses and strains were predicted using elastic layered theory. A summary of the overlay design procedure is presented as well as a comparison with existing procedures. This volume is the first in a series. The other in the series is: Vol. 2. FHWA-RD-75-76 Asphalt Concrete Overlays of Flexible Pavements - Design Procedures.
- See also PB-263 433.
Austin Research Engineers Incorporated2600 Dellana Lane
Austin, TX USA 78746
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt concrete; Cracking; Design; Development; Dimensional analysis; Fatigue (Mechanics); Fatigue (Physiological condition); Flexible pavements; Modulus of elasticity; Overlays (Pavements); Regression analysis; Ruts (Pavements); Strain (Mechanics); Stresses; Thickness; Traffic; Trafficability
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Rut
- Old TRIS Terms: Covering; Dimensional measurement; Strains
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00151227
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 75 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8544
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM