THE USE OF LOW LIGHT LEVEL TV CAMERAS FOR SHIP TRAFFIC CONTROL IN RESTRICTED WATERS
A system of low light level TV cameras has been installed at two locations on the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. One camera is located at the Reedy Point entrance to the canal from the Delaware River and the second location at Town Point near the Chesapeake Bay entrance. Two identical cameras are installed at each location, one at the 70 foot elevation and the second at the 30 foot elevation. The television display from each location is at the Chesapeake City central dispatching office. Microwave equipment of special design operating in the 2ghz range is used to transmit the video signals from the remote locations to the dispatchers office. Complete remote control of each camera is also provided. Remote control of a set of traffic lights at each location with full supervision of their operation is also a part of the system. The paper describes the installation features, engineering and operating results of this aid to navigation of the C and D Canal. A similar installation in nearing completion at the Cape Cod Canal however, this installation will also provide radar surveillance at two locations. The radar information will be displayed on standard television equipment at the Buzzards Bay central control. The Corps of Engineers is studying the possibility of using low light level TV camera equipment for more safe and efficient operation of river locks.
- Presented at the April 24-26th 1972 New Orleans RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1-Papers AA and A thru F-Marine Traffic Systems, Volume 2-Papers G thru L-Safe Ship Operations, Volume 3-Papers M thru Q-Maritime Satellite Systems, Volume 4-Papers R thru Z-Trends in Maritime Communications. SOLD ONLY AS A COMPLETE FOUR VOLUME SET $10.00 PER SET.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine ServicesP.O. Box 19087
Washington, DC USA 20036
- Gray, C H
- Publication Date: 1972-4-24
- TRT Terms: Canal operations; Canals; Closed circuit television; Marine transit; Microwave communication systems; Ship pilotage; Very high frequency; Vessel traffic control
- Old TRIS Terms: Microwave communication; Vhf communications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00033705
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1978 12:00AM