DETERMINING THE FUTURE MOBILITY NEEDS OF THE ELDERLY: DEVELOPMENT OF A METHODOLOGY
The transportation needs of the elderly are investigated with particular emphasis on the relationships between travel and a variety of lifestyles among the elderly. A methodology for identifying lifestyle groups within a population as a function of travel demands, socioeconomic and demographic characteristics, and residential location patterns is presented. The methodology involves the application of factor and cluster analysis to census data describing the population. Data from Los Angeles County are utilized as a specific case study. Lifestyle groups of the elderly (aged 65 and older) and middle-aged (aged 45-64) populations are examined for similar characteristics and location patterns. The results suggest that the future mobility needs of the elderly can be anticipated by studying the lifestyles and activity patterns of younger age groups and by forecasting economic and housing trends.
University of California, Los AngelesSchool of Architecture and Urban Planning
Los Angeles, CA United States 90024
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Wachs, M
- Blanchard, R D
- Bunker, J B
- Westfall, M
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 256 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Census; Cluster analysis; Economic factors; Economic forecasting; Factor analysis; Housing; Housings; Location; Mathematical analysis; Mobility; Needs assessment; Passenger transportation; Socioeconomic factors; Studies; Surveys; Transportation; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00151174
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TST-76-T/3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50109
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 30 1981 12:00AM