VESSEL TRAFFIC SYSTEMS: A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE
A look at some problems associated with piloting the large modern ships in some ports which were never designed to accommodate them. Citing the outstanding safety record of pilots licensed under the state pilot system, the author points out that even the few serious casualties which have occurred in recent years might have easily been avoided had the vessels been employing navigational aids and techniques well known and presently available, most important of these being a well maintained radar suitable for inland navigation and the use of VHF bridge-to-bridge radiotelephone. Types of vessel advisory and traffic control systems are considered with respect to their need, effectiveness, and practical application to the shiphandling problem. Such systems must be meticulously tailored to the real needs of a particular port or waterway. They must furnish timely and pertinent information to the bridge of the ship so that accurate navigational decisions may be made by those responsible for her safety. The author concludes that pilots with their local knowledge and expertise in handling all types of ships, represent a vast reservoir of information and must be the keystone of all proposed traffic systems.
- Presented at the April 24-26th 1972 New Orleans RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1-Papers AA and A thru F-Marine Traffic Systems, Volume 2-Papers G thru L-Safe Ship Operations, Volume 3-Papers M thru Q-Maritime Satellite Systems, Volume 4-Papers R thru Z-Trends in Maritime Communications. SOLD ONLY AS A COMPLETE FOUR VOLUME SET $10.00 PER SET.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine ServicesP.O. Box 19087
Washington, DC USA 20036
- Ives, P L
- Publication Date: 1972-4-24
- TRT Terms: Bridges (Ships); Collision avoidance systems; Communication; Communication systems; Navigation radar; Pilotage; Radio; Very high frequency
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge to bridge communications; Vhf communications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00033702
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1973 12:00AM