STATIC BRAKE INSPECTION INVESTIGATION. VOLUME II. FINAL TECHNICAL REPORT
The report investigates methods and devises a system for motor vehicle brake inspection which precludes the necessity for wheel removal. PMVI requirements and criteria are reviewed, state-of-the-art equipment and methods are surveyed. Industry dialogue is established in support of feasibility of new concepts, which include vehicle modifications and new test methods. All proposed new methods are defined, conceptually developed, and analyzed for current feasibility and future potential. Experimental work is included to supplement the literature search and analytical work where necessary to support conclusions. Inspection methods investigated include radiography, ultrasonics, acoustic emissions, acoustic signature, fiber optics, gas chromatography, etc. Alternatives are summarized, traded off and a final specification for PMVI brake inspection is recommended. The recommended specification includes proof test, visual wear indicators, access ports and simple inspection tools.
- See also Volume 1, PB-260 883.
Avco Systems Division201 Lowell Street
Wilmington, MA USA 01887
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Pagination: 347 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Brakes; Crash investigation; Fiber optics; Gas chromatography; Inspection; Motor vehicles; Nondestructive tests; Radiography; Reviews; Specifications; Studies; Tests; Traffic safety; Ultrasonics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Requirement
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Inserts
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00151168
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-8-2-071 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00949
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM