STATIC AND DYNAMIC BEHAVIOR OF 'TRI-CHORD TRUSS' OVERHEAD SIGN SUPPORT STRUCTURES
This report presents the results of a three part research effort on the experimental, static, and dynamic behavior of tri-chord overhead sign support structures. The experimental effort was primarily concerned with the degree of fixity of the column to truss connection required for analytic modeling. Repeated load tests of the chord splice are also included to provide information regarding fatigue strength. Analysis of dynamic response to extreme wind loads indicate that the AASHO Specifications are adequate. It is also shown that Stockbridge dampers are effective in reducing vibrations due to wind excitation. Finally, a computerized and highly reliable approximate method of analysis is devised for this type of structure. The method accounts for tapered chord tubes and permits the columns to be either one tube or two tubes trussed together. The U-bolt connections are assumed not to slip and no consideration is given to precambering or buckling instability. Comparison of approximate and 'exact' methods shows close agreement. The computer program is listed in the Appendix.
- Prepared in cooperation with North Carolina Dept. of Transportation and Highway Safety, Raleigh.
North Carolina State University, RaleighHighway Research Program, P.O. Box 5993
Raleigh, NC United States 27607
North Carolina Department of TransportationP.O. Box 25201, 1 South Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC United States 27611
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mirza, J F
- TUNG, C C
- Smith, J C
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 321 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerated tests; Aerodynamic force; Columns; Computer programs; Dampers; Dynamic loads; Dynamic structural analysis; Fatigue strength; Gusts; Highway traffic control; Highways; Load tests; Overhead traffic signs; Repeated loads; Splicing; Statics; Structural supports; Trusses; Vibration; Wind; Wind pressure
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Gust loads; Static response; Wind load
- Old TRIS Terms: Supports
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00151154
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ERRSD-110-71-3 Final Rpt., FHWA/RD-77-S0560, FCP 40S1-022
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM