DETERMINATION OF SEISMIC DESIGN CRITERIA FOR THE DUMBARTON BRIDGE REPLACEMENT STRUCTURE. VOLUME 1. DESCRIPTION, THEORY, AND ANALYTICAL MODELING OF BRIDGE AND PARAMETERS
This report deals with the first phase of an extensive seismic investigation that is being made of a long multi-span bridge proposed for a crossing of the lower arm of San Francisco Bay. In this phase, a preliminary design is investigated and a set of seismic design criteria are established. The bridge is 7400 feet long and is composed of 43 spans founded on various soil conditions, including Thick-Mud and Deep-Water sections. Parametric studies are performed (a) to determine and explore the critical questions of design, (b) to define the parameters that need be considered in the analyses, and (c) to establish seismic design criteria for the final phase of design. Among the parameters studied are those associated with five different quakes, two soil columns, the interaction of the various footings and piling groups with varying water and soil conditions, and the properties of the structural elements along the bridge. Based on these studies, seismic design criteria are established in the form of design spectra for both strong and moderately strong earthquake motions.
- Prepared in cooperation with California State Dept. of Transportation, Sacramento. Toll Bridge Administration.
University of California, BerkeleyEarthquake Engineering Research Center
Berkeley, CA USA 94720
Sacramento, CA USA 95807
- Baron, F
- Pang, S H
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 342 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge design; Bridge foundations; Bridge piers; Bridge substructures; Bridge superstructures; Bridges; Design; Earthquake resistant design; Earthquake resistant structures; Equipment replacement; Footings; Pile groups; Piles (Supports); Seismicity; Soil mechanics; Soils; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bridge spans; Design criteria; Replacement; Seismic investigations; Soil conditions
- Geographic Terms: California; San Francisco Bay
- Old TRIS Terms: Pile structures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00150969
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EERC-75-1
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM