MODERN NON-DESTRUCTIVE METHODS FOR MATERIAL TESTING. CATALOGUE: APPLICATION OF THE TEST METHODS; RECOMMENDATIONS
The purpose of this report is to give an overall view of the results obtained so far and the development of non-destructive test methods by the railway Administrations. The Committee collected data on the application of non-destructive tests, of which the catalogue leaflets represent a concise summary. The leaflets of this catalogue refer to a selection of important components which are at present examined by non-destructive test methods on those Administrations included in the inquiry. The descriptions relate to components whose design, or behaviour in service, must be of immediate interest to all who already have experience of them and to those about to adopt similar designs. The sketches provoke thought not only in regard to service performance, but also to the necessity of repairing or of tolerating the presence of certain defects until such time as repairs can be carried out. Documentary report E 29/RP 1 is of considerable assistance for a sound understanding of the Catalogue. The report covers the detection of flaws in axle shafts, wheels, locomotive rod drives, plates, sheets and welded seams, diesel engine parts, and bearings by liquid penetrant, magnetic flux, ultrasonic, X-ray and gamma ray inspection.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1962-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos;
- TRT Terms: Axles; Bearings; Cracking; Diesel locomotives; Electromagnetic properties; Equipment tests; Fluxes; Inspection; Liquids; Locomotives; Motor vehicles; Motors; Nondestructive tests; Penetrants; Steam locomotives; Technology; Ultrasonic tests; Void ratios; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Magnetic flux
- Geographic Terms: France; Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Liquid penetrant inspection; Question e29; Test equipment; Void
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033210
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: E29/RF/E Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM