THE NOISE AND TRACTION CHARACTERISTICS OF BIAS-PLY TRUCK TIRES. VOLUME 2. WET TRACTION FINDINGS
The project has established a data base of noise and traction characteristics for a sample of bias-ply heavy truck tires. The tire sample, representing both 'rib' and 'lug' type tread patterns, was tested according to the SAE J-57 tire noise procedure and in a variety of laboratory and over-the-road traction experiments. Dry-pavement traction results show that the noisier lug-type tires exhibit traction properties which are generally less desirable from the viewpoint of their influence on vehicle response to steering and braking. Wet traction results illustrate that the differences in braking traction between lug- and rib-type tires are even more discriminatory than on dry surfaces.
- See also Volume 1, PB-259 926. Also available in set of 2 reports as PB-259 925-SET, PC E99/MF E99.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
Motor Vehicles Manufacturers Association320 New Center Building
Detroit, MI United States 48202
- Ervin, R D
- MacAdam, C C
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Bias (Statistics); Braking; Control; Databases; Dryness; Moisture content; Noise; Pavements; Rain; Rolling contact; Steering; Tests; Tire treads; Tires; Traction; Traffic noise; Traffic safety; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dry conditions; Wet conditions
- Old TRIS Terms: Noise sound; Truck noise
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Motor Carriers; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00150955
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-76-2-2
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM