TRANSPORTATION AND THE DISABLED: AN OVERVIEW OF PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS
The report is an overview of the transportation problems of the disabled, and identifies both problems and possible solutions. Recent efforts are summarized within the framework of the concepts of accessibility and mobility, the scope and nature of the population affected, major policy issues and options are discussed, and some future needs and directions are identified. The report contains a bibliography on the subject area. The report explores the number, age, income, locational (urban-rural and geographic) characteristics, and travel patterns of the disabled. It explores their design problems with various modes of transportation and explores the potentials and costs for retrofitting public transportation facilities and systems. Presently available services are identified along with major sources of funding, and the report then spells out some future directions in terms of design changes, demonstration projects, hardware research, and basic research. Potential training of the disabled in the use of transportation systems are also explored.
- Sponsored in part by Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (HEW), Washington, D.C.
Revis (Joseph S.)2804 Battery Place, NW
Washington, DC United States 20016
Department of Health, Education and WelfareOffice of the Assistant Secretary for Planning & Evaluation
Washington, DC United States 20201
- Revis, J S
- Revis, B D
- Publication Date: 1976-10-1
- Pagination: 120 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Bibliographies; Demonstration projects; Design; Financing; Level of service; Mobility; Needs assessment; Persons by socioeconomic levels; Persons with disabilities; Planning; Policy; Public transit; Research; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation policy; Travel patterns; Urban transportation; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services; Transportation management; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Design; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Research; Society; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00150952
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: JSR-1 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1981 12:00AM