CRITERIA FOR AIRPORT PAVEMENTS
An investigation was conducted which resulted in suggested changes to existing Federal Aviation Administration design, construction, and evaluation criteria for civil airport pavements. Through individual studies, design and construction procedures were developed for prestressed concrete, fibrous concrete and continuously reinforced concrete pavements; porous friction surface courses; and pavements incorporating stabilized layers, insulating layers, and membrane-encapsulated layers. Proposals were made for statistical quality control of paving materials. A nondestructive pavement evaluation procedure based on steady state vibratory loadings and measurements of the resulting elastic deflections was developed. An economic analysis was performed to relate pavement upgrading cost to a penalty cost associated with adding gears and wheels to aircraft in order to provide flotation for present-day pavement design criteria. Studies of aircraft dynamic load effects and wheel-path distribution were made. This report summarizes these studies. Individual technical reports are available for all of the above-mentioned studies.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180-6199
- Hutchinson, R L
- Ulery, HHJ
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 135 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Airports; Analysis; Bibliographies; Building materials; Costs; Drainage; Electric insulating materials; Fibers; Force; Friction; Frost; Insulating materials; Load factor; Loads; Nondestructive tests; Pavement design; Pavements; Physical distribution; Prestressed concrete; Reinforced concrete; Steel
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Criteria
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00150858
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-74-35 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA71WAI-218
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM