ACTIVITIES RELATING TO TITLE II PORTS AND WATERWAYS SAFETY ACT OF 1972
The problem of reducing the risk of collisions, groundings, or other accidents to tank vessels in our ports, waterways, and coastal waters is a more complex problem than either the Coast Guard or the Congress anticipated when the Ports and Waterways safety Act of 1972 was enacted. Like many other complex problems the number of factors involved and their interrelationships make human intuition a poor tool for determining what solutions are appropriate. The Coast Guard is attempting to collect the necessary knowledge as rapidly as our abilities and resources will permit; at the same time we are proceeding with regulations and other corrective measures which are appropriate and justifiable.
- See also Rept. no. USCG-M-1-77 dated Jan 73, AD-A032 799.
United States Coast GuardOffice of Merchant Marine Safety
Washington, DC United States 20590
- BENNETT, R
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Ships); Cargo handling; Cargo ships; Crash avoidance systems; Crash investigation; Crashes; Environmental protection; Harbors; Hazardous materials; Marine safety; Maritime safety; Oceans; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Pollution; Pollution control; Port operations; Regulations; Research; Safety; Shipping; Tankers; Transportation; Vessel traffic control; Water quality management; Water traffic; Water transportation; Waterway facility operations; Waterways
- Identifier Terms: International Maritime Consultative organization; United States Coast Guard
- Old TRIS Terms: Hazardous materials transportation; Imco pollution regulations; Oil spill control; Pollution abatement measures; Segregated ballast tankers; Tanker pollution prevention; Water pollution prevention; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00150779
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: USCG-M-4-77 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM