DOUBLE-WHEEL AUTOMOTIVE HAND CONTROL SYSTEM
The patent application describes an automotive control system for use by handicapped drivers who have lost the functional mobility of the lower extremities. A second wheel concentric with the steering wheel is added such that it is reachable by either the thumb or fingertips when hands are on a steering wheel in normal driving fashion. Movement of this second control wheel in a direction away from the driver actuates the automotive braking system through an electro-hydraulic servo system. Pulling the second wheel towards the driver actuates the throttle of the automobile through a similar servo system. The brake and throttle servos interface with existing automotive control systems such that little additional 'add on' mechanisms are necessary.
- This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of application available NTIS.
Department of Health, Education and WelfareWashington, DC United States
- Reichenberger, A J
- Publication Date: 1976-8-16
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated vehicle control; Automotive engineering; Braking; Control devices; Drivers; Dynamic braking; Electrohydraulic mechanisms; Hydraulic equipment; Interfaces; Patent applications; Persons with disabilities; Service time; Servomechanisms; Steering wheels; Throttles; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Electro-hydraulic method; Hydraulic servomechanisms; Throttling
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00150542
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DHEW-VA-7-75 Patent App, PAT-APPL-714685
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM