SUBSURFACE INVESTIGATION, SECTION A014 ROCKVILLE ROUTE
Results are summarized of 58 test borings made at selected locations along the line of Section A014 of Rockville Route, generally following Rockville Pike north of Strathmore Avenue to Station 764+40 of the Washington Metropolitan Area METRO system where the METRO adjoins the B and O Railroad right-of-way. Five of these test borings were made with a large-size hollow-stem auger to assess the difficulty of excavation in the subsurface materials. The report includes a continuous geological section along the centerline of the METRO structures, special cross-sections at the location of the subway station and parking lots, logs of the test borings, results of laboratory tests on soil samples and comments on potential design and construction problems.
- Sponsored in part by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, D.C. Prepared in cooperation with DeLeuw, Cather and Co., Inc., Washington, D.C.
Utah State University, LoganUtah Water Research Laboratory
Logan, UT USA 84321
De Leuw, Cather and Company1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority600 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20001
- Publication Date: 1976-10-28
- Pagination: 107 p.
- TRT Terms: Boring; Excavation and tunneling; Foundations; Geological surveying; Metropolitan areas; Rock mechanics; Routes; Subways; Underground structures
- Non-Preferred Terms: Soil surveying; Subsurface investigations
- Geographic Terms: Maryland; Virginia; Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Subway railways
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00150537
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MRWJ-76-149
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 2002 12:00AM