THE DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF A MOTORCYCLE SKILL TEST, MANUAL, AND KNOWLEDGE TEST
As a step in reducing the high accident rate that characterizes initial motorcycle operation, a skill test, written manual and knowledge test were developed. The basic source of information used in preparing the manual and tests was an inventory of critical knowledges and skills as obtained through a comprehensive analysis of motorcycle operator tasks. The skill test is an off-street measure designed to assess the following operating skills: starting on a hill, making a sharp turn, turning while accelerating and decelerating, controlled stopping, judging turning speed, avoiding obstacles, and emergency stopping while in a straight line and in a curve. Administration of the skill test yielded inter-examiner reliability coefficients of .9, while a correlation of .8 was obtained between test scores and judgments of proficiency made by experienced motorcycle operators. The manual provides critical information involved in safe motorcycle operation, including the following topics: preparing to ride, vehicle control, being seen, observing, maintaining distance separation, handling dangerous surfaces, night riding, emergencies, carrying passengers and cargo, group riding, being in shape to ride, and maintaining the motorcycle. It is written entirely at the fifth-sixth grade reading level.
National Public Services Research Institute421 King Street
Alexandria, VA USA 22314
Washington, DC USA 20590
- McPherson, K
- McKnight, A J
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Pagination: 117 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Control; Drivers; Evaluation; Handling characteristics; Human factors engineering; Knowledge; Licenses; Maneuverability; Manuals; Motor skills; Motorcycles; Motorcyclists; Prevention; Safety; Skewed distributions; Tests; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Handling
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00150490
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-077 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01143,, DOT-HS-5-01165
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 15 1977 12:00AM