EVALUATION OF PROBE SAMPLING VERSUS OPTICAL IN SITU MEASUREMENTS OF NITRIC OXIDE CONCENTRATIONS IN A JET ENGINE COMBUSTOR EXHAUST
Measurements of nitric oxide (NO) concentrations were made at the exhaust of a jet engine combustor by conventional gas-sampling probe and chemiluminescent analyzer methods, by optical resonance absorption through absorption cells located within the gas sample transfer line, and by optical resonance absorption directly through the combustor exhaust. The combustor was exhausted to atmospheric pressure and was operated at an inlet temperature near 600F, a total pressure of about 3 to 4 atm, and at fuel-to-air ratios (f/a) from 0.01 to 0.05. A tubular inlet, liquid-cooled, stainless steel sampling probe was inserted into the gas stream at the combustor exit. The optical technique used was the resonance absorption method for the (0,0) gamma-band of NO at wavelengths ranging from 2,200 to 2,270 A. The results showed that within the sampling line both the chemiluminescent gas analyzer and the optical absorption method gave NO concentrations that agreed within about 20 percent.
- Prepared in cooperation with ARO, Inc., Tullahoma, Tenn. Rept. no. ARO-ETF-TR-76-76.
Arnold Air Force Engineering Development CenterArnold Air Force Station
Tullahoma, TN USA 37389
- Few, J D
- Bryson, R J
- McGregor, W K
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Absorption spectra; Air pollution; Air quality management; Chemiluminescence; Concentration (Chemistry); Design; Electromagnetic spectrum; Exhaust gases; Gas analysis; Jet engines; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Optical devices; Optical instruments; Performance tests; Pollution; Probes (Measuring devices); Samplers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Air pollution detection; Band spectra; Probes
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Design; Environment; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00150455
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: AEDC-TR-76-180 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 15 1977 12:00AM