GUIDELINES FOR SIGNING AND MARKING ON LOW-VOLUME RURAL ROADS
Economic analyses coupled with engineering judegment and field observation in rural areas were applied in developing the recommendations for safe and economic low volume rural intersection control. STOP signs should be placed on low volume roads which intersect paved highways provided such roads meet certain (listed) criteria. For intersections which meet the Approach Speed/Combined ADT requirements for no control, but which do not have adequate sight distances, a standard CROSS ROAD sign, W2-1, may be used. The need for warning signs on horizontal curves is noted. Studies show that at approach speeds greater than 30 mph, a differential of 10 mph between approach speed and safe curve speed required perception-reaction-decleration distances necessitating advance warning. This can be provided through the use of standard curve signs (W2-1 in MUTCD). Studies related to drivers choice of curve speed as a function of curve and advisory speed signs are described. It is indicated that CURVE signs should be placed in advance on all curve with intersection angles of 45 deg. or more in improved roadways, and 60 deg. or more on unpaved roadways, except in a few specified situations. No passing zones and passing maneuvers are discussed. The observation is made that the degree of risk involved does not justify the expense of standard MUTCD stripping, and alterntives are suggested.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/1606878
Public Works Journal CorporationP.O. Box 688
Ridgewood, NJ USA 07451
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Approach; Curves (Geometry); Deceleration; Economic analysis; Emergency response time; Guidelines; Intersections; Low volume roads; No passing zones; Passing; Reaction time; Rural highways; Sight distance; Speed; Stop signs; Striping; Traffic signs; Unpaved roads; Warning signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Horizontal curvature
- Old TRIS Terms: Approach speed
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00141077
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 6 1976 12:00AM