THE TON-MILE: DOES IT PROPERLY MEASURE TRANSPORTATION OUTPUT?
The current unit of transportation, the ton-mile (megagram- kilometer), must be reevaluated. This paper traces the origins and uses of the ton-mile, exposes its shortcomings, and examines its current misuse as a measure not only of tons and miles (megagrams and kilometers) but also of efficiency, competition, and productivity. The use of the ton-mile as a measurement has been responsible for many problems in transportation policies and is probably the principle reason that so much confusion and controversy exist with respect to the national transportation system today. The paper recommends gross freight revenue (or the value of transportation) as a far better measurement because it more accurately reflects the relative worth of the various modes to the national effort of moving goods. It is suggested that the Transportation Research Board address the matter as a problem deserving its full and immediate attention.
- Digital Copy:
- Summary URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/03611981
- Publication of this paper sponsored by Committee on Passenger and Freight Transportation Characteristics.
- Flott, Allan C
- BATTS, LANA R
- ROTH, RONALD D
- 54th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board
- Location: Washington District of Columbia
- Date: 1975-1-13 to 1975-1-17
- Publication Date: 1976
- Media Type: Print
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 19-26
- Monograph Title: Transportation characteristics of truck, rail and water freight
- Transportation Research Record
- Issue Number: 577
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0361-1981
- TRT Terms: Competition; Economic efficiency; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Measurement; Policy; Productivity; Statistical analysis; Ton miles; Transportation; Transportation policy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Transportation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Policy; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00139644
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0309024919
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Nov 17 1976 12:00AM