IS REDUCING CAR USE POSSIBLE?
VOIDAANKO HEOKILOAUTOLIIKENNETTA VAHENTAA?
This preliminary study considers means and strategies to reduce car use and the concepts of necessary and unnecessary traffic. The car use reduction policies of some countries are described, as well as the present situation and the trends in Finland. Reducing traffic is difficult, because it is part of a complex society and its many functions. Traffic also raises ethical questions. Based on interviews made, the benefits of private car use in traffic can be expressed by the words COMFORTABILITY and OPTIONS. The reasons given for needing a car often concern providing for the family and weak public transport connections. NECESSARY TRAFFIC is a socially determined concept, defined through interest groups. It is thus not very suitable for use as a general characterisation. Unnecessary traffic was described as unjustified, non-productive, inefficient and non-targeted. Thus unnecessary traffic is something that can be substituted by other activities.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/9517261721
TIELAITOS (FINNISH NATIONAL ROAD ADMINISTRATION)OPASTINSILTA 12 A
HELSINKI, Finland FIN-00520
- LEHTONEN, H
- KANNINEN, V
- TOISKALLIO, K
- Sirvio, J
- PAKARINEN, T
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 147 p.
- TIELAITOKSEN SELVITYKSIA
- Volume: 92
- Issue Number: TIEL 3200367
- Publisher: TIELAITOS (FINNISH NATIONAL ROAD ADMINISTRATION)
- ISSN: 0788-3722
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Automobiles; Environmental protection; Value engineering
- Uncontrolled Terms: Decreases; Use
- ITRD Terms: 9139: Accessibility; 1243: Car; 9009: Decrease; 2444: Environment protection; 9084: Use; 248: Value analysis
- Subject Areas: Environment;
- Accession Number: 00729357
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- ISBN: 951-726-172-1
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Dec 26 1996 12:00AM