OPTIMAL SPEED OF ROAD TRAFFIC - IS THERE SUCH?
LIIKENTEEN OPTIMAALINEN NOPEUS - ONKO SELLAISTA?
Optimal speed of road traffic is the speed level which minimizes the social costs of transportation. Conventionally such calculations have been based on transport economics components (operating costs, value of time, accident costs and environmental costs including pollution and noise). This report considers whether more components are needed in the calculations and how they should be weighted. Can such calculation be used when choosing speed limits and levels? Optimal speed depends on the point of view. Different road users have their own valuations. When policy decisions (in this case level of speed limit) are made, each party has its own optimum, and the final decision is often a compromise.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/9517261500
TIELAITOS (FINNISH NATIONAL ROAD ADMINISTRATION)OPASTINSILTA 12 A
HELSINKI, Finland FIN-00520
- Rasanen, J
- VILKMAN-VARTIA, A
- KERANEN, M
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 36P+A p.
- TIELAITOKSEN SELVITYKSIA
- Volume: 77
- Issue Number: TIEL 3200352
- Publisher: TIELAITOS (FINNISH NATIONAL ROAD ADMINISTRATION)
- ISSN: 0788-3722
- TRT Terms: Decision making; Economic factors; Economics; Speed; Speed limits; Transportation
- ITRD Terms: 2248: Decision process; 263: Economics of transport; 5408: Speed; 624: Speed limit
- Subject Areas: Economics; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00729353
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- ISBN: 951-726-150-0
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Dec 26 1996 12:00AM