CHOPPER ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE E-444.005 OF THE F.S.
LA LOCOMOTIVA ELETTRICA A CHOPPER E-444.005 DELLE F.S.
A description is given of the new electric locomotive, still in an experimental phase, E444.005 of the Italian State Railways. Power feed remaining unchanged at 3,000 V, d.c. the use of techniques in the solid state in traction has made it possible to increase the continuous rating of each of the 4 motors to 1,125 kW against the 940 defined by the reference tension 3 kV/2 for the same motors of the original group. An illustration is given of the concepts adopted in the design of the body, the bogies and the motors; a description is then given of the traction and braking circuits and the control logic which is completely automated. Lastly, a description is given of the equipment for the auxiliary services and the reasons are given for the higher cost of the equipment as compared with similar traditional locomotives.
Collegio Ingegneri Ferroviari ItalianiPiazza Croce Rossa
- Piscaglia, D
- CAVAGNARO, M
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Pagination: p. 5-14
- INGEGNERIA FERROVIARIA
- Volume: 31
- Issue Number: 1
- TRT Terms: Choppers (Electricity); Electric locomotives; Locomotives; Railroad electrification; Solid state devices; Vehicle design
- Identifier Terms: Ferrovie dello Stato
- Uncontrolled Terms: Propulsion systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Choppers; Locomotive design; Solid state
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00139516
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 26 1976 12:00AM