COMBINED CARRIERS: THEIR ROLE IN THE BULK TRADE
Combined carriers constitute one of the fastest growing segments of the world bulk fleet, with some 25 million D.W.T. scheduled to commence trading between now and 1975. The existing fleet of ore/oil and bulk/oil ships represents at least 10% of available crude oil carrying capacity and, although its rapid growth has had less impact on the dry bulk market, it is vital to evaluate the future role of the dual-purpose carrier in both its markets. In this report, the first of a series to be prepared by H.P. DREWRY (SHIPPING CONSULTANTS) LIMITED for the benefit of the world shipping industry, the existing fleet of combined carriers is analysed and future changes in its composition projected from the current order book. The second part of the survey is concerned with the existing trading pattern and is based on an exhaustive survey of the fleet's performance over a period of a year. Developed to operate in two-way or triangular trades, hauling crude oil or dry bulk cargoes alternately, the combined carrier has been in existence long enough to draw certain conclusions from the pattern of employment. The report concludes with an examination of future trading possibilities and whether these will call for larger vessels than those in service or on order. Finally, all known period oil commitments are shown in the APPENDIX, which lists the fleet in order of D.W.T. size.
Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) LimitedPalladium House, 1-4 Argyll Street
London W1V 1AD, England
- Publication Date: 1971-10
- Pagination: 41 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Bulk carriers; Combination carriers; Economic analysis; Economic forecasting; Economics; Freight transportation; International trade; Ocean shipping; Ore bulk oil carriers; Shipping; Tanker shipping
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk traffic; Obos; Ore/oil carriers; Shipping economics; Shipping forecasts; Tanker economics
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00035050
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) Limited
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1974 12:00AM