CAR/BULK CARRIERS: THEIR IMPACT ON THE FREIGHT MARKET
With one in ten of the world's bulk carriers between 10,000 and 40,000 D.W.T. capacity committed to carrying cars or commercial vehicles to North America, etc., returning to Western Europe or Japan with back-haul cargoes of grain, coal, etc., the car/bulk carrier is a potential source of weakness in an already depressed freight market. There are almost 4.5 million D.W.T. of bulk carriers and tramps regularly employed to transport cars over the longer ocean routes and because of their trading pattern, normally compete for return cargoes in the principal North American trades, exerting a strong influence on the course of rates. The emergence of such a large fleet of specialized ships, the majority of which are car/bulkers specially built or converted for the purpose, to carry cars and commercial vehicles, has taken place against the background of an expanding world trade in cars and in this report, the second in a series from H.P. DREWRY (SHIPPING CONSULTANTS) LIMITED, recent trends in car production and exports are featured. The second part of the report takes a detailed look at the composition of the car/bulk fleet, information of age, size, car carrying capacity, ownership, conversion and newbuilding costs, order book, etc. being featured in both tables and text. Supplementary data is offered by the APPENDIX, which lists all the ships in the fleet. The report concludes with an examination of the trading pattern of car/ bulk carriers in order to assess their impact on the dry cargo market and identify the trades in which they exert the strongest influence on rates.
Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) LimitedPalladium House, 1-4 Argyll Street
London W1V 1AD, England
- Publication Date: 1971-12
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile rack cars; Bulk cargo; Bulk carriers; Economic analysis; Economic forecasting; Economics; Freight transportation; International trade; Ocean shipping; Shipping
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk traffic; Car carriers; Shipping economics; Shipping forecasts
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00035049
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) Limited
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1974 12:00AM