ECDIS AND ARPA - A MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE?
This paper examines the use of electronic chart systems as both passage planning and voyage monitoring tools, with special emphasis on the possibilities and pitfalls surrounding the superposition of radar target images on the chart display. Comparisons are made with the traditional use of radar, by discussing well accepted problem situations, and taking into consideration the various possible display modes. The study indicates that a single 'navigation console' could provide the visual model for routine navigation, as well as providing an appropriate and unambiguous display for the assessment of collision avoidance actions. However, a careful choice of display mode is required to achieve the level of usability and reliability associated with current best radar practice.
- Inst Marine Engrs Trans, v 106 pt 4, 1994, p 175 [13 p, 11 ref, 4 fig]
- SMEATON, G P
- DINELEY, W O
- Tucker, S M
- Publication Date: 1994
- TRT Terms: Navigation radar
- Uncontrolled Terms: Electronic charts
- Old TRIS Terms: Passage planning
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00727447
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Maritime Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 1 1996 12:00AM