National Transportation Statistics: 1997
National Transportation Statistics is a compendium of selected national transportation and transportation-related statistics from a wide variety of government and private sources. The data illustrate transportation activity for the major transportation modes - air, automobile, bus, truck, transit, rail, water, and pipeline. The NTS is divided into four chapters and several appendices. Chapter 1 of this document presents statistics about the extent of the physical network; travel and goods movement; vehicle, aircraft, and vessel inventories, as well as the condition and performance of the system. Chapter 2 focuses on the relationship between transportation and the economy. Data are provided on consumer and government expenditures on transportation and employment in and productivity of transportation industries. Chapter 3 details transportation's safety record, presenting data on fatalities, injuries, and accidents for each mode and for hazardous materials. Chapter 4 presents transportation energy use and related emissions data. Oil spill incidents are also reported in this section. Finally, Appendix A provides modal profiles. Summary statistics, in five year increments, are provided for the years 1960-1994 and 1995, where available. In some instances, data extend back to 1955 and are forecast through 2006.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Washington, D.C.
Volpe National Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Gross, M
- Feldman, R N
- Publication Date: 1996-12
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 352 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Air transportation; Bus transportation; Economic factors; Employment; Energy consumption; Expenditures; Freight traffic; Hazardous materials; Highway transportation; Inventory; Oil spills; Performance; Pipeline transportation; Pollutants; Productivity; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Statistics; Transportation; Transportation safety; Travel; Trucking; Vehicles; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Economy
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Hazardous materials transportation; Transportation statistics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Energy; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00732394
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-VNTSC-BTS-96-4
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1997 12:00AM