VIDEO TECHNOLOGIES IN DATA ACQUISITION FOR TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT AND PLANNING
The subject research is an outgrowth of an earlier application of video technology to the collection of license plate data for the external origin-destination survey conducted in 1991 by the Central Transportation Planning Staff of the Boston Metropolitan Planning Organization. In subsequent developments, an automated machine vision license plate reading system was used in the place of human operators to transcribe videotaped license plate images into a computer file. This license plate reading system was evaluated by the Volpe National Transportation Systems Center (VNTSC) in an extensive series of travel time surveys conducted in 1993 for the Federal Highway Administration by the transportation planning staffs of Boston, Seattle and Lexington, Kentucky MPOs. A sample of 12 hours of the 1500 hours of videotaped license plate records collected in the course of the VNTSC surveys was analyzed frame-by-frame at the Universiy of Massachusetts at Amherst using both manual and machine vision transcription procedures. It was determined that both the manual and machine vision procedures produce essentially identical, precise and statistically robust estimates of mean travel times between survey stations. The machine vision system produced travel time estimates in as little as one-tenth the time required by manual operators.
- Title on document: Use of Video Machine Vision Technology to Estimate Travel Time.
University of Massachusetts, AmherstTransportation Center, 130 Natural Resources Road
Amherst, MA United States 01003
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 40-279
Cambridge, MA United States 01239
Department of TransportationUniversity Transportation Centers Program, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hu, A
- Publication Date: 1995-2
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; License plates; Network analysis (Planning); Origin and destination; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel time
- Uncontrolled Terms: Video technology
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00732037
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- Contract Numbers: DTRS95-G-0001
- Files: TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 25 1997 12:00AM