BUS ROUTE GUIDANCE INFORMATION DESIGN: A MANUAL FOR BUS AND LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT SYSTEMS - SECOND EDITION, INCORPORATES ADA GUIDELINES
Design guidelines and information are offered for static signage and handout information to assist transit riders in route planning and guidance. An earlier version of this manual was published in 1994. The manual now incorporates Americans with Disability (ADA) design guidelines, and also has an Appendix which comprises a digest of ADA Accessibility Guidelines to bus and light transit stop design. The manual provides concise and explicit advice on how to design signs at stops, transfer points, and terminals for street and system maps, route maps and timetables, route and direction designation, and locator signs. Information is also given for the design of timetables and system maps for distribution to riders. 100 transit companies were surveyed by mail and telephone ,of which 65 sent specimens of their route guidance material. This material helped the authors arrive at these suggestions, however in some cases the authors had to rely upon their Human Factors and Ergonomics backgrounds to provide guidance in the absence of consensus.
- Supported by a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation University Transportation Centers Program.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Koppa, R J
- Higgins, L L
- Publication Date: 1996-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus routes; Bus transit; Light rail transit; Passenger information systems; Route guidance; Signs
- Identifier Terms: Americans with Disabilities Act
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00731958
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SWUTC-96-721932-2
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 10 1997 12:00AM