EFFECTS OF LIGHT TRUCK AND ROADSIDE CHARACTERISTICS ON ROLLOVER. VOLUME II. VEHICLE PROPERTY MEASUREMENTS AND FIELD ROLLOVER TESTS
Eight vehicles were instrumented and subjected to tripped rollover tests. Prior to the rollover tests, physical properties including mass, CG location, mass moments of inertia, one product of inertia, vertical suspension characteristics, horizontal suspension deformation characteristics, roll axis and steering sensitivity were measured in the laboratory. The driverless vehicles were self powered and controlled by an onboard computer control system that followed a prescribed path laid out on the test pavement. Computer recorded instrumentation consisted of a set of six accelerometers, wheel tachometers, string potentiometers for suspension deflection measurements, odometer, and dual video cameras. Test maneuvers included departure from the pavement in a turn with soft soil as a tripping mechanism, departure from the pavement in a turn with a 4-inch concrete curb as a tripping mechanism, departure from the pavement in a skid with a soft soil as a tripping mechanism, and departure from the pavement in a skid with a 4-inch concrete curb as a tripping mechanism.
- See also Volume I (PB96-192679), Volume III (PB96-202163), Volume IV (PB96-192273), Volume V (PB96-188958), and Volume VI (PB96-188941).
University of Missouri, Columbia1205 University Avenue
Columbia, MO United States 65201
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Baldwin Jr, J W
- Charlson, E J
- Graham, H
- Lenau, C W
- JONES, C
- Publication Date: 1994-12
- Pagination: 153 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Information processing; Light trucks; Roadside; Rollover crashes; Skidding; Vehicle characteristics; Vehicle tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computer aided analysis
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00730638
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NALECZ-UMC-0993-V2,, HS-808 409, Final Report
- Contract Numbers: DTNH22-89-C-07005
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1997 12:00AM