DYNAMIC BUFF AND DRAFT TESTING TECHNIQUES
The test car was used to evaluate the safe curving limits of two candidate cars, namely the Frontrunner and the 89-foot flatcar, under buff and draft loads of up to 250,000 pounds (113,400 kg) and for a 10-degree curve. The tests, supported by analysis, showed that coupling of the Frontrunner to the 89-foot (27 m) flatcar reduces the flatcar's ability to negotiate curves safely for draft loads higher than 220,000 pounds (99.660 kg) and buff loads higher than 180,000 pounds (81,540 kg).
- Record URL:
- Summary URL:
- Sponsored by Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development.
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001-1564
- El-Sibaie, M
- Publication Date: 1992-10
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic tests; Flat cars; Load factor; Railroad cars; Steering
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00730623
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-FRA-ORD-92-31
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 1997 12:00AM